Last updated 8 July 2021.
This blogpost provides a central hub for all SPICe work on Coronavirus (COVID-19) and some links to other useful sources of parliamentary information to assist Members and others. It includes work from both Session 6 and work completed in the previous Session.
A useful starting point might be our blog on COVID-19: Information for new and returning MSPs, published in June 2021.
SPICe regular blogs – trusted information, COVID statistics and timeline
As many readers will be aware, we are producing a range of regular blogs on the COVID-19 crisis:
- a blogpost on trusted and official sources of information
- a summary of the high-level statistics on Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Scotland
- a timeline on Scotland’s response to the pandemic
- a high-level summary of the protection levels and the current restrictions across Scotland
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Which neighbourhoods have the most cases?
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Vaccinations in Scotland – latest data
Subject-specific SPICe material
Aside from the regularly updated blogposts, we have also published a wide range of blogs and briefings in specific subject areas. These have been grouped by subject below. Most of these were produced during Session 5 but are still relevant for the new parliamentary session.
Business and Industry
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) – employment rights
- Staying connected: broadband and Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19: Non-Domestic Rates related business support FAQs
- What does the self-employed population in Scotland look like?
- How is the Scottish Government supporting businesses through the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic?
- COVID-19 impact on Scotland’s businesses, workers and the economy – views from the frontline
- Claimant count and the coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown: who has been affected?
- Scotland’s night-time economy and Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- COVID-19 guest blog: Government support for businesses around the world
- Online shopping for Scots: bah humbug or yuletide joy?
- Guest blog: How is COVID-19 affecting women entrepreneurs in Scotland?
- Guest blog: The impact of COVID-19 on Scottish SMEs’ liquidity and access to finance
Economy and Finance
- What money is the Scottish Government getting for coronavirus (COVID-19) support and how is it being spent?
- An economy fit for key workers?
- New Challenges for a Just Transition? COVID-19 and Green Pathways to Recovery
- The Barnett formula – is it working for Scotland’s businesses?
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Scotland’s economy
- Funding for coronavirus (COVID-19) support: the evolving picture
- What is the Scottish Government spending on coronavirus (COVID-19) support?
- The UK ‘Summer Economic Update’: what does it mean for Scotland?
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): The “furlough” scheme in Scotland
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) economic stimulus options: who has the policy levers?
- COVID-19 Barnett funding: £7.2 billion for Scotland now guaranteed
- COVID-19: accelerating towards a cashless society?
- COVID-19 Barnett consequentials guarantee up again: more certainty, less clarity
- COVID-19 Barnett consequentials: filling in the gaps
- COVID-19 Barnetts for 2020-21 – the final reckoning
- COVID-19 Barnetts: the story continues
- National Qualifications – estimating success: a response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- The impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on university funding in Scotland
- COVID-19: Guidance for students in Scotland -updated 1 October
Environment and Energy
- Guest blog: Has the coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown reduced air pollution?
- Guest blog: How to achieve green recovery from COVID-19? Expert views, and their alignment with Scottish Government proposals
EU and International Affairs
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Brexit transition and access to treatments
- The European Union’s response to COVID-19
Health and Social Care
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Frequently Asked Questions – Health
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Frequently Asked Questions – Social Care
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): How are deaths counted?
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Brexit transition and access to treatments
- Contact-tracing apps and coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) – can we calculate an exit strategy?
- COVID-19: How is this wave different from the first?
- SPICe FAQs: COVID-19 testing
- Variants of SARS-CoV-2: An exceptional virus, or one that is behaving normally?
- Long COVID: will the policy response lead it into the long grass?
- Health inequalities and the recovery from COVID-19
- Indirect health impacts of COVID-19 – NHS performance and waiting times
- COVID-19 – should we be concerned about high case numbers?
Housing and Planning
- Housing and Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- The impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) on the housing sector
- COVID-19 and rented property in Scotland – Scottish and UK Government support for tenants and landlords
- Conveyancing and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): trial by jury
- Coronavirus (Covid-19): prisoner numbers
Parliament and Government
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): How parliaments are working during the pandemic
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): what could the impact be on the ordinary general election to the Scottish Parliament scheduled for May 2021?
- Scrutiny of the Covid-19 pandemic by parliamentary committees
- Scottish General Election (Coronavirus) Bill
- COVID-19: how has the pandemic affected the National Outcomes?
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): How has the Scottish Parliament adapted?
- COVID-19 emergency powers: a short explainer
- COVID-19 legislation – where has it come from and how was it scrutinised?
People and Communities
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): social distancing
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): the lowdown on the laws of lockdown and the move to phase 1
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): An update on the law as Scotland moves to phase 2
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): deaths at a local level in Scotland
- Excess deaths in Scotland
- Guest blog: Supporting older people with alcohol problems under COVID-19
- Protecting those at risk: What some COVID-19 experts think
Transport, Travel & Tourism
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): remaking our streets
- Destination unknown: tourism, coronavirus (COVID-19), and getting to reboot
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Transport Transition Plan
- SPICe FAQs – COVID-19 travel restrictions in Scotland and the rest of the UK– what is a reasonable excuse?
- SPICe FAQs – COVID-19: international travel and quarantine
- Scottish tourism and COVID-19: what’s the outlook for the sector?
Further subject-specific work on COVID-19 will be added to this list as it is published.
COVID-19 Parliamentary Questions and Answers
From 21 April 2020 onward, the Parliament is publishing daily reports on parliamentary questions on COVID-19 and answers by the Scottish Government, grouped by ministerial portfolio. These can be accessed on the Motions, Questions and Answers section of the Parliament’s website.
Coronavirus (Scotland) Bill
To inform parliamentary consideration of the Coronavirus (Scotland) Bill on 1 April 2020, we published a detailed, extended blogpost on the Bill.
Coronavirus (Scotland) (No. 2) Bill
The second piece of Coronavirus legislation was introduced in the Scottish Parliament on 11 May 2020. To inform scrutiny of the Bill, we published a detailed committee briefing on 12 May. You can read it on the COVID-19 Committee webpages.
On 20 May, we published a detailed, extended blogpost on Stage 2 amendments lodged on the Bill, to inform Stage 3 consideration by the Parliament.
Coronavirus (Extension and Expiry) (Scotland) Bill
On 18 June 2021, the Coronavirus (Extension and Expiry) (Scotland) Bill was introduced in the Parliament. We again published a detailed, extended blogpost on the Bill to inform parliamentary scrutiny.
Coronavirus Act 2020 – Secondary Legislation
The Cabinet Secretary for Health and Sport wrote to the Presiding Officer regarding the Coronavirus Act 2020 (Commencement No1) (Scotland) Regulations 2020.
The SSI was laid before the Scottish Parliament on 3 April 2020, and came into force on 5 April 2020
Finally, we also produced a detailed committee briefing on the UK Coronavirus Bill and the Scottish Government’s Legislative Consent Memorandum. This can be accessed via the Finance and Constitution Committee’s webpages.
Keeping up to date
Allan Campbell, Head of Research and Financial Scrutiny