This blogpost provides a central hub for all SPICe material related to COP26 and some links to other useful sources of parliamentary information to assist Members and others. It includes work from both Session 6 and work completed in the previous Session.
A useful starting point for new readers would be our briefing – COP26 An Introduction to the UN Conference of the Parties published in June 2021.
This hub will be updated as new material is published during COP26.
COP26 Briefings and Blogs
- COP26: A fragile win – but for whom? Coal, fossil fuels; loss and damage
- Emerging from COP26 – the ‘fight of our lives’
- Not a moment to lose – some COP26 emerging themes
- COP26: The Glasgow Women’s Leadership Statement on Gender and Climate – how could Scotland support its delivery?
- The Scottish Parliament at COP26 – The role of Parliaments in tackling the Climate and Ecological emergencies
- The Scottish Parliament on the world stage – report from Day 2 of the GLOBE Legislators’ Summit
- The Scottish Parliament on the world stage – report from Day 1 of the GLOBE Legislators’ Summit
- What has COP26 got to do with the Scottish Parliament?
- COP26 – a view from the Blue Zone
- GLOBE International Legislators Summit. Climate Change – Scotland’s Contribution
- COP26: A brief history of climate COP
- COP26 – What’s on the Agenda?
- Guest Blog: Glasgow and COP26 – Code Red in the Dear Green Place
- The Science Behind COP26: The IPCC’s ‘Code Red for Humanity’ report
- COP26 An Introduction to the UN Conference of the Parties
SPICe Climate Change Briefings
- The Multiple Roles of Scottish Woodlands
- Climate Change and Agriculture: How can Scottish Agriculture Contribute to Climate Change Targets?
Just Transition/Green Recovery
SPICe Climate Change Blogs
- Net-zero and the climate emergency
- ‘Transformative’ change, but twin climate and biodiversity emergencies ahead: 20 years of devolved environmental policy
- Melting ice and rising seas – what does the latest IPCC report mean for Scotland?
- Wildfires – a future burning issue?
- Can hydrogen drive Scotland to net-zero? Part 1: What is hydrogen energy?
- Can hydrogen drive Scotland to net-zero? Part 2: What are Scotland’s hydrogen energy plans?
- Oil and the climate crisis: drilling into Scotland’s policy paradox
- How to count to net-zero
- How to count to net-zero: Part 2
- Capital spend: locking in high or low carbon futures?
- Infrastructure investment: “locking in” a low carbon economy?
- Infrastructure Investment Plan: supporting Scotland’s environmental ambitions?
- Guest blog: Climate change plan update and Scottish woodland creation: getting the balance right
- Guest blog – The Role of Precision Agriculture in Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Guest blog – Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions From Cropping Systems
- Guest blog – Livestock health and greenhouse gases: Ruminating on climate change
- Guest blog – What we eat, and meeting our climate change commitments
- Back to the future: Reducing car travel in Scotland
- Car Wars: Revenge of the SUV
- You get what you pay for – 20 years of devolved transport policy
- Cycling – What works?
Just Transition/Green Recovery
COP15 and the Ecological Crisis
- Addressing the nature crisis: COP15 and the global post-2020 Biodiversity Framework
- Environment: Subject Profile
- Mainstreaming nature – international approaches to biodiversity conservation
- Wild Salmon
- How does Scotland’s biodiversity measure up?
- Seeing the wood for the trees: questions posed for Scottish environmental policy by the UK Environment Bill LCM
- What does the UK-EU Deal mean for environmental standards in Scotland?
- Guest blog: How to achieve green recovery from COVID-19? Expert views, and their alignment with Scottish Government proposals
- Assessing the conservation status of Scotland’s salmon rivers
- Plenty of fish in the sea? Pressures facing Scotland’s wild Atlantic salmon
Scottish Parliament Legislation
- The Climate Change (Emissions Reduction Targets) (Scotland) Bill
- Update to the Climate Change Plan – Background Information and Key Issues
- Update to the Climate Change Plan – Key Sectors
- Heat Networks (Scotland) Bill (republished)
- Fuel Poverty (Target, Definition and Strategy) (Scotland) Bill
- Transport (Scotland) Bill: Buses
- Transport (Scotland) Bill: Low Emission Zones
- Transport (Scotland) Bill: Road Works
- Transport (Scotland) Bill: Ticketing arrangements, Regional Transport Partnership finance and Scottish Canals
- Transport (Scotland) Bill: Pavement Parking and Double Parking
- The New Climate Change Bill – A World Leading Ambition?
- A (woolly) mammoth task? The Climate Change Bill before Stage 3
Keeping up to date
To keep up to date with our work, please sign up to SPICe Spotlight updates, use the COP26 tag on the blog, and follow us on Twitter, @SPICe_Research.
Damon Davies, SPICe Research