This blogpost provides a central hub for all SPICe material related to COP26 and some links to other useful sources of parliamentary information to assist Members and others. It includes work from both Session 6 and work completed in the previous Session.
A useful starting point for new readers would be our briefing – COP26 An Introduction to the UN Conference of the Parties published in June 2021.
This hub will be updated as new material is published during COP26.
COP26 Briefings and Blogs
- COP26: A fragile win – but for whom? Coal, fossil fuels; loss and damage
- Emerging from COP26 – the ‘fight of our lives’
- Not a moment to lose – some COP26 emerging themes
- COP26: The Glasgow Women’s Leadership Statement on Gender and Climate – how could Scotland support its delivery?
- The Scottish Parliament at COP26 – The role of Parliaments in tackling the Climate and Ecological emergencies
- The Scottish Parliament on the world stage – report from Day 2 of the GLOBE Legislators’ Summit
- The Scottish Parliament on the world stage – report from Day 1 of the GLOBE Legislators’ Summit
- What has COP26 got to do with the Scottish Parliament?
- COP26 – a view from the Blue Zone
- GLOBE International Legislators Summit. Climate Change – Scotland’s Contribution
- COP26: A brief history of climate COP
- COP26 – What’s on the Agenda?
- Guest Blog: Glasgow and COP26 – Code Red in the Dear Green Place
- The Science Behind COP26: The IPCC’s ‘Code Red for Humanity’ report
- COP26 An Introduction to the UN Conference of the Parties
SPICe Climate Change Briefings
- The Multiple Roles of Scottish Woodlands
- Climate Change and Agriculture: How can Scottish Agriculture Contribute to Climate Change Targets?
Just Transition/Green Recovery
SPICe Climate Change Blogs
- Net-zero and the climate emergency
- ‘Transformative’ change, but twin climate and biodiversity emergencies ahead: 20 years of devolved environmental policy
- Melting ice and rising seas – what does the latest IPCC report mean for Scotland?
- Wildfires – a future burning issue?
- Can hydrogen drive Scotland to net-zero? Part 1: What is hydrogen energy?
- Can hydrogen drive Scotland to net-zero? Part 2: What are Scotland’s hydrogen energy plans?
- Oil and the climate crisis: drilling into Scotland’s policy paradox
- How to count to net-zero
- How to count to net-zero: Part 2
- Capital spend: locking in high or low carbon futures?
- Infrastructure investment: “locking in” a low carbon economy?
- Infrastructure Investment Plan: supporting Scotland’s environmental ambitions?
- Guest blog: Climate change plan update and Scottish woodland creation: getting the balance right
- Guest blog – The Role of Precision Agriculture in Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Guest blog – Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions From Cropping Systems
- Guest blog – Livestock health and greenhouse gases: Ruminating on climate change
- Guest blog – What we eat, and meeting our climate change commitments
- Back to the future: Reducing car travel in Scotland
- Car Wars: Revenge of the SUV
- You get what you pay for – 20 years of devolved transport policy
- Cycling – What works?
Just Transition/Green Recovery
COP15 and the Ecological Crisis
- Addressing the nature crisis: COP15 and the global post-2020 Biodiversity Framework
- Environment: Subject Profile
- Mainstreaming nature – international approaches to biodiversity conservation
- Wild Salmon
- How does Scotland’s biodiversity measure up?
- Seeing the wood for the trees: questions posed for Scottish environmental policy by the UK Environment Bill LCM
- What does the UK-EU Deal mean for environmental standards in Scotland?
- Guest blog: How to achieve green recovery from COVID-19? Expert views, and their alignment with Scottish Government proposals
- Assessing the conservation status of Scotland’s salmon rivers
- Plenty of fish in the sea? Pressures facing Scotland’s wild Atlantic salmon
Scottish Parliament Legislation
- The Climate Change (Emissions Reduction Targets) (Scotland) Bill
- Update to the Climate Change Plan – Background Information and Key Issues
- Update to the Climate Change Plan – Key Sectors
- Heat Networks (Scotland) Bill (republished)
- Fuel Poverty (Target, Definition and Strategy) (Scotland) Bill
- Transport (Scotland) Bill: Buses
- Transport (Scotland) Bill: Low Emission Zones
- Transport (Scotland) Bill: Road Works
- Transport (Scotland) Bill: Ticketing arrangements, Regional Transport Partnership finance and Scottish Canals
- Transport (Scotland) Bill: Pavement Parking and Double Parking
- The New Climate Change Bill – A World Leading Ambition?
- A (woolly) mammoth task? The Climate Change Bill before Stage 3
Keeping up to date
Damon Davies, SPICe Research